TTK Project Case Study: TTK in City Centre Mirdif, UAE
TTK FUEL LEAK DETECTION SYSTEM IN CITY CENTRE MIRDIF, UAE
To read this case study in printable PDF format.
City Centre Mirdif is a shopping mall in the residential area of Mirdif, in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. It opened on 26 March 2010 and has a gross leasable area of 196,000 m² and houses 465 retail stores.
In this hyper-scale shopping mall, several diesel-powered engine generators provide emergency power in the event of a loss of station service power.
However, if any fuel/diesel leaks go undetected in generator rooms and prevent generators from working, the shopping mall would still be forced to close. That’s why the end-user requested TTK to supply a reliable liquid leak detection system to monitor the generators and their auxiliary equipment (day tank, pipes) 24/7, to ensure uninterrupted functionality of the whole system.
Areas to be protected
The scope of fuel leak detection work for the Mirdif shopping mall is to protect seven day-tanks which fuel generators located in different generator rooms.
For this project, TTK ME recommended its fuel leak detection system, using FG-ALS4-OD leak detection control panels and FG-OD fuel sensing cables in different lengths.
- Insensitive to water (as are all TTK oil sensors), the FG-OD cables detect the presence of liquid hydrocarbon at any point along their length. They were installed in the generator rooms, near leak sources in this project.
- Technical advantages of TTK’s hydrocarbon sensing cable:
• Detects quickly, even small quantities of hydrocarbon liquid, allowing to give very early alarm and gain precious time for operators to react in the event of a leak.
• Reusable, allowing onsite testing and significantly reducing equipment cost.
• Every individual cable is addressable and independent, allowing the detection and location of multiple leaks in the same circuit.
Addressable Oil Sensing Cable:
- To monitor all sensing cables, a multiple-zone alarm & locating panel (reference name FG-ALS4-OD) was installed in the generator rooms.
- Equipped with a touch screen, relays and RS485 Modbus serial link interface, the panel works as a stand-alone system and monitors up to four independent zones and pinpoints the location of leaks.
- In the event of a liquid leak or default on the sense cables for each zone, the responses from the FG-ALS4-OD alarm & locating unit:
• An audible alarm is triggered and a relay is activated.
• The touch screen of the panel displays the zone, the location of the leak (on the cable) and details of the fault (the type of fault leak or cable break).
• Report to the DCS/SCADA/Safeguarding system via a JBUS/MODBUS protocol.
Four Zones Alarm & Locating System Unit
for Hydrocarbon Leak Detection (FG-ALS4-OD) installed on site
Schema of installation of TTK oil fuel leak detection
monitoring panel for day tank